Exchange to a UK Drivers Licence
We are pleased to inform you that The Driving Licences (Exchangeable Licences) Order 2021 No. 537 has now been published.
HOW TO EXCHANGE A CAYMAN ISLANDS DRIVERS LICENCE
You can continue to drive in the UK without exchanging your licence for 12 months after becoming resident.
After 12 months you must exchange your licence to keep driving. You can exchange it up to 5 years after becoming resident, if it has not expired.
“Holders of driving licences issued outside of the European Union who become resident in Great Britain can drive small vehicles (motorcars and motorcycles) for up to 12 months from the date they become resident.
After this period those who have made an application to exchange their licence for a UK licence may be entitled to drive under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 while they are waiting to receive their UK licence.”
More information can be found by searching “INF188” on www.Gov.uk
Step by Step instructions:
- Collect UK Driving Licence (Exchange) Application Form D1 from local post office or order the D1 form from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) at www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
- Complete the D1 Form in its entirety
- Meanwhile, contact the Cayman Islands Department of Vehicle and Drivers Licensing and complete the Letter of Entitlement request form which can be downloaded here
◦ Complete Part A and tick the box for Driver’s Licence History
◦ Declaration must be signed and dated
◦ Email completed form to DVDL.Helpdesk@gov.ky
◦ Subject Line should read: LETTER OF ENTITLEMENT (UK)
◦ Expect a reply confirmation from CI DVDLs Customer Support Team, providing you with a telephone number to call, to process payment over the phone. (Cost is CI$75.00)
◦ OR, if preferred, include with original email a copy of your debit/credit card. (Please consider the security of sending credit card details by email).
◦ Copy of receipt will be emailed to you.
◦ Application process time will be 3 – 5 business days
◦ Letter of Entitlement will be emailed (PDF format) back to you.
- Submit the completed UK Driving Licence (Exchange) Application Form D1 with:
◦ £43 fee – Payment should be made by cheque or postal order only, payable to DVLA Swansea.
◦ Cayman Islands Driving Licence (must be a valid driver’s licence)
◦ Cayman Islands Letter of Entitlement
- You should receive your British Licence within 3 weeks.